Friday 26 September 2014

Vegan Product of the Week: Lotus Biscoff Spread

Lotus Biscoff spread is a caramelised biscuit spread that tastes like the little biscuits you sometimes get free with a cup of tea in a cafe (like the biscuit displayed on the label). When I was told about this I had to try it. It's different to other spreads I have tried which makes it more appealing but the high sugar content means that it's not something that I would eat everyday so I decided this would be ideal for a weekend breakfast treat. I spread it on toast and was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't sure that something so sweet would work but it did. This spread also comes in a crunchy version but I don't think I could imagine spreading it on my toast.

After examining the ingredients I noticed that it contained palm oil. Concerned about this I decided to have a look on their website which explains that they use RSPO (roundtable on sustainable palm oil) certified palm oil which means that is is sourced using environmental and economic good practice.

As I'm a sucker for sweet things I was impressed with this product. To get the full effect spread it on a little thicker as a thin layer can have just a subtle taste and will be more bready than spready. Alternatively you can indulge yourself with a spoonful straight from the jar on occasions (but of course I wouldn't encourage this).  I bought my jar of biscuit spread from Tesco for £2.29 so see if you can find yours else where for less. It definitely has to be tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment